10 Tips on How to Prevent Practice and Performance-Related Injuries
- DO arm up (take a walk, stretch, begin slowly and easily on your instrument)
- DO take breaks (10 minutes per hour, minimum)
- DO sit/stand with good posture (shoulders down and back straight, feet flat on floor)
- DO increase your practice load gradually and vary your repertoire
- DO stress-reducing relaxation activities and exercise (yoga, massage, swimming, bicycling, for example)
- DO take one day off a week.
- Do be easier on yourself when you are under duress or when you are overtired.
- Do move (sitting very still can build up tension – wiggle and stretch and avoid being static in one position).
- DO breathe deeply.
- DO practice AWAY from your instrument (listen to recordings, study scores, mental preparation and visualizing performing well).
Reference: “Playing (Less) Hurt” by Janet Horvath